By Raider Nate 75
I think Chris Long falls to us now that the Dolphins made their selection. If he doesn't fall to us, then we trade the pick with Cincinnati so they can pick up McFadden. The Raiders would get the #9 and Chad Johnson; and maybe, just maybe, we could make a run for Frostee Rucker (DE out of USC). But if Chris is there, and the Raiders don't take him, Kansas City will, especially if they lose Jared Allen.
1. Dolphins-Jake Long, OT, Michigan. No surprise here, the Dolphins need a lot of help at every level, and they go with the best player on the board. Second Option: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas. He could (and should) be the first overall pick, and he could help keep opposing defenses honest, and Beck or McCown upright and off their back the whole game. It wouldn�t surprise me if they chose McFadden, I just think they are going after Chris Long.
2. Rams-Vernon Gholston, DE, the Ohio State. They pull the first surprise here with this selection. It is long been speculated that the Dolphins would have gone after Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, and went with offensive help instead. Second Option: Chris Long, DE, Virginia.
3. Falcons-Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU. The Falcons need help at every level as well, and though they need OFFENSIVE help badly, they go with a strong DT. Not only do they need a QB, they need a playmaker, and that is what they find in McFadden. Second Option: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas . Yes, they need a QB, but will reserve that pick for later with either Chad Henne or Ryan Carpenter (the sleeper QB in the Draft). They go for the upgrade on defense with Ellis.
4. Raiders-Chris Long, DE, Virginia. Yes Raider Fans, we get our man! Second Option: Trade with the Bengals for 9th overall pick, and Chad Johnson and Frostee Rucker, where we select Sam Baker, OT, USC; while the Bengals select Sedric Ellis, DT, USC.
5. Chiefs-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St. They need help against the pass. Help at the CB position is a start, and it will be okay if the keep Jared Allen. Second Option: Chris Long, DE, Virginia if the Raiders don't get him, the Chiefs will.
6. Jets-Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas. They need help on offense, especially in this area to help out Thomas Jones. This will give them a 1-2 punch at this position. Second Option: Trade the pick.
7. Patriots-Keith Rivers, OLB, USC. What is the one position they are growing old in, OLB. They are also hurting for a CB after losing 2, and with Rodgers-Cromartie off the board they go with Keith Rivers, and get a CB in the next round. Second Option: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas.
8. Ravens-Limas Sweed, WR, Texas. They need a big time receiver to help them out offensively, and that is what they will get in Sweed. Second Option: DeSean Jackson, WR, California.
9. Bengals-Sedric Ellis, DT, USC. They fill a huge void here, and give help to their defensive line. Second option: Trade pick and Chad Johnson to the Raiders
10. Saints-DeSean Jackson, WR, California. They need help at this position to give Brees some options, and to ease the protection against Bush. Second Option: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas.
11. Bills-Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan. Another team that needs WR help. Second Option: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami.
12. Broncos-Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St. The Donkeys need to protect Cutler, and help him mature as a QB. Second Option: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC.
13. Panthers-Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas. The Panthers need offensive help, signing Brayton may give them help for Peppers, but they need a playmaker on offense to help their struggling team. Second option: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.
14. Bears-Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College. They are looking for a QB to give competition to Kyle Orton because Grossman is not panning out. They need help at WR as well, but look for them to make that adjustment in later rounds. Second Option: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon.
15. Lions-Sam Baker, OT, USC. They finally break the streak of choosing a WR. They fill a need at the O-line position. Second Option: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois.
16. Cardinals-Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn. They need help here and at CB. So they go with the big pass rush. Second Option: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt.
17. Vikings-Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville. They need help at this position. They could wait, and get a gem in the later rounds with Ryan Carpenter, but I think they go after Brohm. Second Option: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh.
18. Texans-Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt. Their defense is solid, and they need pass protection help. They will swing for a RB in the later rounds, but they need to focus on O-line. Second Option: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh.
19. Eagles- Sedric Ellis, DT, USC. The Eagles need a WR, but can get one in the 2nd round, or later. They also have defensive holes to fill, so they select Ellis. Second Option: Malcom Kelly, WR, Oklahoma.
20. Buccaneers-Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon. Cadillac Williams is a clunker. They need help on offense at this position, receiver, and O-line. Second Option: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh.
21. Redskins-Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh. They need to protect their new asset in Jason Campbell. Second Option: Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma.
22. Cowboys-Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas. Losing two CB�s they need help. Second Option: Mike Jenkins, CB, S Florida.
23. Steelers-Branden Albert, OG, Virginia. Replacing Alan Faneca. May be looking at an OT as well. Second Option: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy.
24. Titans-Calais Campbell, DE, Miami. Need to help Kearse who is injury prone. Second Option: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida.
25. Seahawks-Fred Davis, TE, USC. They need help here, and they will find their help. Second Option: Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue.
26. Jaguars-Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida. Losing Marcus Stroud is a HUGE loss for this team�s defense, and they need to fill it if they are going back to the postseason. Second Option: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson.
27. Chargers-Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy. This is not a team with many holes, but CB and WR seem to glare out. They may also look to replace Turner at RB. Second Option: Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida.
28. Cowboys-Chauncey Washington, RB, USC. Losing Jones was huge, and though they have Barber, they need help in this area as well. Second Option: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida.
29. 49ers-Chad Henne, QB, Michigan. Not satisfied with the play of Alex Smith, they need to bring competition in. Second Option: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College.
30. Packers-Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida. Woodson and Harris are aging. Though they are solid, this could be a potential hurting place.
31. Patriots-pick forefeited for cheating.
32. Giants-Jerod Mayo, MLB, Tennessee. The best MLB in the draft, and a HUGE need for the Giants. Second Option: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami.
Labels: Guest Take, Raider Nate 75