Five Postgame Takes
1. Hey, nice defense! Too bad we lost because we couldn’t score a touchdown. Paging Art Shell.
2. Give me one good reason why a Lane Kiffin-coached team can only score a total of two offensive touchdowns over the last 12 quarters of football? Think about it. Right when we should have been hitting our stride, on the heels of two victories, we’ve gone straight down the offensive toilet. Different coaches, different quarterbacks, different wide receivers. But still the same old story. This is getting spooky. Halloween is nigh, my friends. Halloween is nigh.
3. I keep hearing that this is a rebuilding year. With the possible exception of Zach Miller, name me one player who played on offense against the Titans around whom we are rebuilding. How do you rebuild without promising new materials? Don’t give me JaMarcus Russell, Michael Bush and other holdouts, IR “stars” or benchwarmers. If we’re rebuilding, around whom are we rebuilding? You might say we will be rebuilding, but how can you say we are rebuilding? And if we’re not rebuilding right now, what are we doing?
4. I guess we’re finding out the hard way why Daunte Culpepper and Mike Williams were cast off by two of last year’s worst teams in the NFL. Remember, my job isn’t NFL talent evaluator. It’s not my fault. But I can assure you that it’s somebody’s fault that we’re in this perpetual personnel predicament, now spanning five years and four coaching regimes.
5. Fourteen penalties for 100 yards and 27 rushes for 92 yards. It would be funny if it weren’t so sad.